1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup brown rice, uncooked
¼ cup onion, chopped
2 ½ cups chicken broth or water
1 teaspoon cumin
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup tomatoes, diced
¼ cup tomato sauce
½ teaspoon salt
Tip: Garnish with chopped cilantro before serving.
- Place oil in a pan and heat over medium heat.
- Add rice and onions, and sauté until onions are soft.
- Add chicken broth or water, cumin, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and salt.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and bring to boil. Turn heat down to a low simmer and cook, simmered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed — approximately 45-60 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Recipe and Image credit: TexasWIC.org