Date Sweetened Flourless Brownies
Prep Time 10 min Cook Time 12 min Total Time 22 min
NUT/SEED/DRIED FRUIT * Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Soy-free, Egg-free, Vegan, Paleo
This healthy brownie recipe has no added sugar or flour, and is also oil-free. These date-sweetened brownies have the perfect fudgy texture when you make them in a bite-sized mini muffin tin!
CALORIES: 49 CAL
- coconut oil, for greasing
- 3/4 cup Medjool dates, pitted (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup cashew butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 1 tablespoon golden flax seed, ground
- 5 tablespoons Cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease mini muffin tin with coconut oil to help prevent sticking.
- In a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, combine the dates and water and process until the dates have broken down into a paste. (They may turn into a ball in the processor, which is also okay.)
- Add in the cashew butter, ground flax, cacao powder, baking soda, vanilla, and vinegar and process again until a sticky, uniform dough is created. (If you need to add 1 more tablespoon of water to help it blend smoothly, that’s okay.) The batter will be thick and sticky.
- Use a cookie scooper to help you scoop the dough into the greased mini muffin tin. (Roughly using 1 tablespoon of dough per slot.) Use your fingers to gently flatten each mound of dough. Because the dough is very sticky, it helps to get your fingers wet with water before pressing each mound down so your fingers won’t stick to the dough.
- Bake until the tops look dry, about 12 to 15 minutes. (The centers will still feel slightly soft to the touch.) Remove from the oven and let the brownies cool completely, at least 30 minutes, before attempting to remove them from the pan. They firm up as they cool, but are very fragile when warm. Run a knife around the edge of each brownie to help loosen them to be removed, then serve immediately or store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Each brownie has just 49 calories and 3 grmas of natural sugar, for a healthy treat that won’t send your blood sugar skyrocketing.