Prep time: 25-30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours or until meat and veggies are tender
1 pound lean beef cut into cubes
2 tablespoon whole wheat flour
¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon cumin
1½ tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium onions, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 medium red/green bell pepper, sliced
1 medium tomato, finely minced
5 cups beef broth (fat removed)
5 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
12 small carrots, cut into large chunks
1¼ cups green peas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix the flour with salt, pepper, and cumin. Roll the beef in the mixture. Shake off excess.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef cubes and sauté until nicely brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Place beef in ovenproof casserole dish.
- Add minced garlic, onions, celery, and peppers to skillet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and broth. Bring to a boil and pour over beef. Add potatoes, carrots and peas. Cover and bake for 1 to 1½ hours or until tender.
Serving size – 1½ cup
Calories – 320
Calories from fat – 60
Total fat – 7 grams
Saturated fat – 1.5 grams
Cholesterol – 40 mg
Sodium – 520 mg
Total carbohydrates – 41 grams
Protein – 24 grams
- Use lean turkey or pork
- Experiment with different vegetables
- Look for deals on meats to increase savings
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 1/3 vegetables, 2 2/3 bread & 1 fat
Recipe care of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ National Diabetes Education Program